I designed the Finding Traction Course specifically for pastors who are struggling with compulsive sexual behavior. It is the course I wish I had years ago.
The fact that you are here tells me one of two things:
- You’re a pastor who is struggling and you know you need help. I want to celebrate your bravery and encourage you to take the next step.
- You know a pastor who is struggling and you want to help. I celebrate your love and compassion. Shame is a core driver behind sex addiction and our society shames sex addicts. Your compassionate response is a gift that will help your pastor on the road to recovery.
Getting started on the road to recovery isn’t easy. Trying to do it from a position of spiritual leadership enhances the struggle. Shame is exacerbated. You fear you might lose your job. The terror of walking into a 12-Step group and seeing someone from your congregation is palpable.
What is the Finding Traction Course?
For the price of a few hours with a sex addiction specialist, the Finding Traction Course offers 18-hours of group work crafted to nurture four foundations successful recovery demands:
- Finding a God You Can Fall Into: As a pastor, you might assume this is already the case. I did. My theological crisis forced me to examine my beliefs. A fresh study of the Gospel accounts transformed my understanding of God. Here’s my current profession of faith.
- The Ability to Receive Love and Acceptance: For all the talk of grace and forgiveness, the church’s culture often cultivates performance-based acceptance. Until we abandon our active pursuit of approval and receive the love and acceptance rooted in the imago dei, we will never break the cycle of addiction.
- Engaged, Identified and Expressed Emotions: Sex therapists agree the root of most sex addiction is unresolved traumatic childhood experiences. They also agree that sex addiction disconnects us from our feelings. Working with our emotions is necessary for both uprooting our compulsive behavior and living a healthy life today.
- The Capability of Vulnerability: If you do not reveal your true self, then you deny others the opportunity to love you. If you deny others the opportunity to truly love you, you will never know you are loved. Vulnerability must be met with love or you will live assuming people wouldn’t love you if they knew what you keep hidden.
Weekly sessions will take place online or in-person and will include five other pastors (plus a facilitator). This group dynamic is essential to undermining the power of shame. Together we’ll study Scripture, share our stories, pray for one another, and learn that we’re not alone in our battle against sexual addiction.
This is not therapy, this is pastoral care (read my thoughts on the differences here). Healing will not happen in 12-weeks. But these 12-weeks can save you thousands of dollars and months of spinning your wheels trying to figure out what works. Perhaps more importantly, because the Finding Traction Course is exclusively for pastors struggling with sex addiction, your secret is safe until you’re ready to reveal it.
Please contact Joe with any additional questions or if you need to discuss a scholarship for financial hardship or temporary discretion.